October 13, 2010

What's a bookmark again?

Once or twice a week I get the chance the work at one of our branch libraries, Belloni Memorial Library, which is in the Fairless Elementary school. It's a busy place, serving as both a public library for the Fairless area and a school library to over 900 elementary students who come into the library with their class once a week. For a few years we've been putting bookmarks out on the counter and offering one to the students after they check out a book. It kind of struck me this week that most children don't have a clue what bookmarks are to be used for. However, as soon as I set that container of bookmarks on the counter, they come running to the desk.

"What's this thing again, Mrs. Brant?" one the students said. Not waiting for my answer (which I've explained over and over again), he turns to his class and shouts "They're free! You can have one!" I think that's more the appeal to them at this age anyway!

So it occurs to me to explain bookmarks to them in their language. Since most children seem to be having more "screen time" on tvs, computers, and videogames instead of books, you need to speak that language. So I held up one of our bookmarks and explained that if you were reading and your mom said to stop, you would need to "pause" the book just like you "pause" your game or dvd. Then when you come back to the book, you can "hit refresh" by opening the book back up where you left off. They nodded like they understood.

Think I got through to them this time??

No comments:

Post a Comment